Saturday, September 22, 2012

Tiny Dancer

First Day of Dance Class
Bailey had her first dance class this morning.  Technically, it was her second, but the first one she was supposed to be in.  My sister and brother-in-law have been talking about signing the girls up for dance class for a little while, but I always thought Bailey was too young and not quite ready to be an active participant in a group activity.  By this, of course, I mean that I didn't think she'd be so great at listening to a teacher and following directions and I didn't want to be embarrassed by being the parent with the spazzy kid.  Plus, I'll admit...Scott and I were kind of hoping that if and when she was ready for something like this we'd go the less girly, more sporty route.  But, I digress.

Anyway, last week my niece had her very first dance class and parents were allowed to come and watch (for the very first class only...after that the kids go in alone and parents are asked to wait in the waiting room until class is over).  Meg invited us to come and watch and, since Bailey had slept over my parents' house the night before, I figured it'd be fun to go and watch.  About ten minutes into the class, in walks my mom with Bailey.  Bailey took off running across the classroom and I'm smiling all big because I thought she was running to see me.  Turns out, she made a beeline for the group of 3-year-olds and just made herself part of the group.  She didn't have the right shoes or clothes on and, bless her heart, she didn't care...the girl just wanted to dance.  The teacher, Miss Gail, was sweet enough to completely overlook the fact that Bailey didn't belong in the class, and she let her take part 100%, even giving her a pair of tap shoes to wear when it was time for the girls to switch out of their ballet shoes.  I spent the next 45 minutes in complete awe of my daughter.  Not only was she dancing and having a blast, but she was listening and following directions and making friends like it was no big deal.  She had no nerves, felt no embarrassment, and had no problem standing up in front of the group with one of the "big girls" and practicing her tap, shuffle and curtsey.  And all with a giant smile on her face.

I spoke with Miss Gail immediately after class and she was all for taking Bailey on.  She's the smallest and the youngest little girl in the group (and the only one not yet potty-trained), but she loves it and she's good at it.  How could we not sign her up after watching how happy it made her?

So today was her first official class.  We went out last week and bought her ballet shoes, a leotard and tights (and my mom bought her tap shoes and a dance bag), and I scraped her hair back into a meager ponytail and off we went.  No parents allowed this time, and I thought she'd be nervous or, at the very least, hesitant.  But she went right on in without me and spent the next hour doing one of the things she loves best.  She came out after class with a big smile on her face and a lollipop in her hand (everyone who listens and participates gets one at the end of class), and started telling me all about the things she did and learned in dance class.  Miss Gail said she did great, listened really well, and owned the dance floor.  :-)

So, Bailey is a dancer...and, despite my original feelings, I love it and I hope that she continues to do it for as long as she likes it and as long as it remains fun for her.  Who'd have thought that the little girl we used to call Brutus Beefcake (for her toughness, attitude, and overall "F**k you, I'll do what I want" outlook) would turn out to be the teeny little ballerina in ballet slippers and a tutu?

*******************************************************************************

Happy 30th Birthday, Daddy!
I have to take a second and mention that Scott's Surprise 30th birthday party was a success!  We had it last weekend, he had no clue, and we all had a good time.  And, of course, here's a picture of him and Bailey on his actual birthday, blowing out the candles on his cake...
Happy 30th, Scott!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, I am so jealous!!!! This is one of the reasons I want a little girl! She looks so adorable in her little dance outfit! Can't wait to see her dance in her first recital -- you MUST tell me when it is so I can come!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Who loves comments? I do!