Friday, February 4, 2011

Mommy Is Clueless Sometimes...

Poor Bailey!  Those of you who have been following lately, Bailey hasn't been sleeping very well the last few nights and Scott and resorted to letting her "cry it out" for awhile to let her learn to soothe herself back to sleep.  She started to do pretty well with it after the first two nights, and would wake up once or twice, cry for a few minutes, then fall back to sleep.  It broke my heart to listen to her cry, but Scott and I kept telling ourselves that she needed to learn how to put herself back to sleep and that, in the long run, this would be good for her.  Well, we're kicking ourselves now because a second tooth just popped through right next to the first one.  THAT is why she wasn't sleeping well.  Not because she needs to learn to put herself to sleep (even though she very well may), not because she was bored or scared (although she might have been, who knows?).  She wasn't sleeping well because she was in pain.  And we just left her to cry herself back to sleep.  This is reason number one why I hate the Cry It Out method.  And I don't think we'll be doing it again for awhile.  Although, I doubt we'll need to.  As soon as I saw that tooth poking through, I gave Bailey Tylenol before bed that night, and she slept wonderfully.  She woke up once, and all she needed was a bink.  Same thing last night.  A small dose of Tylenol and she slept through the night.  And when she woke up this morning she was playing and talking in her crib.  I hate being a clueless mom!

So, yes, Bailey now has two teeth!  And I've learned a lesson...check to see if she's actually hurting before letting her cry!  

She's also started making a new noise...and I'm not sure I like it, silly as that sounds.  =)  In addition to all her babbling, she's started  making this noise where she sucks in her breath and then lets out an insanely high-pitched squeal.  She did it just about all day yesterday, every time she was happy...or bored...or hungry...or wanted attention...or was conscious.  She's very proud of her voice these days!

Bailey also discovered that when she cries she gets what she wants.  She had Scott and I both going for awhile, wrapped around her little finger like we are.  But then we realized, Hey.  She's not hungry or wet or tired.  She's smart.  Because she's learning that when she cries mommy and daddy jump.  Yesterday, she kept trying to grab my laptop.  "No, Bailey, that's mommy's.  Let's play with your Elmo!" I said to her.  The second I moved the laptop out of her reach she burst into tears and just stared at me angrily with red cheeks and teary eyes, all the while crying/babbling loudly.  Same thing when I wouldn't let her play with a knife.  And again when I gave back a toy that she swiped from one of the daycare kids.  She's a smart one, my Bailey.  I've gotta give her credit, though, for knowing what she wants and using whatever powers she has to get it.  I'm impressed that she figured that out...but I've got to break her of THAT habit quick!

She and I are going to Marple's Teachers vs, Cancer basketball game tonight.  Scott's clocking it, and Bailey and I are going to go watch the first game.  We'll see how she does with the crowd and the noise...

TGIF!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who loves comments? I do!