Friday, January 24, 2014

I'm Wrapped Around Her Little Finger

Bailey has been having a hard time sleeping lately.  She finds excuse after excuse after excuse to prolong bedtime and she asks every night if I'll sleep with her "for this much minutes" (holding up 5 fingers). 

So last night I'm lying in bed with her and playing dead, hoping she'll realize that no fun is about to happen and will nod off herself.  I'm laying still with my eyes closed and my breathing even, and she's shifting around beside me.  Then she rolls over so that she's facing me, and I can feel her face right in front of mine but I'm refusing to open my eyes, lest she realize I was only pretending to be asleep and assume that it's time to play.  She starts playing with my ear and I'm just waiting for her to start getting goofy and poking at my eyes and sticking her fingers in my nose...anything to not have to sleep, right?

But then she does something that completely surprises me. 

Still assuming that I'm fast asleep, she rests her little hand on my cheek and whispers very, very quietly: "I just love being with you, mommy."  Then she kisses my forehead and goes back to playing with my ear while I lay there holding back sappy tears and drinking in every second of that sweet little moment with my girl.

See, she had no clue that I was still awake.  None.  She wasn't trying to play, wasn't trying to wake me up, wasn't trying to worm her way out of going to sleep.  It was a purely sweet moment...just for the hell of it.  And one that I will always, always look back on when she fights bedtime, when she stomps up to her room in a fit of anger, when she rolls her eyes and tells me that I'm rude (which she did earlier this week).

This, my friends...this simple, innocent, fleeting moment of sweetness...is why this little girl has me wrapped around her finger.  And why, for as long as she'll let me,  I will always...always...sleep with her for "this much minutes".


No comments:

Post a Comment

Who loves comments? I do!